• welcome
    to at a crossroads

AAC is an intermediate to advanced Buffy the Vampire Slayer & Angel the Show roleplay game, set during the sixth season of Buffy and the third season of Angel. We offer a supportive staff, welcoming members who are willing to plot and play, a relaxed atmosphere, both canon and original characters, no word counts, room for creativity, and cookies. Well, okay, pretend cookies. (Be mindful, some of us actually do bite.)

To learn more, navigate using the arrow on the right hand side of the chatbox.

To join, please register in FIRST LAST format, all caps.

credits

btvs & ats universe, including canons, are credited in full to Joss Whedon, under his production tag; Mutant Enemy Productions and his co-executive
    producers Jane Espenson, David Fury, David Greenwalt, Doug Petrie, Marti Noxon, and David Solomon. all graphics, site wide events & plots,
    templates and other works of staff genius, is credited to amelia & callie. all original character concepts, posts and member content,
    is credited to those members responsible. original skin by maisy.
    original top-bar by ring wang of tympanus.
    mini-profile coded by lauz of caution & shine!
  • dutiful staff
  • news
    12/04: stats updated. the site is booming! tons of canons still available and originals welcomed. we especially need more demons, magicals, watchers, and half demons. site wide plot being introduced soon! stay tuned.

11/27: the site revamp is complete! after some blood, sweat and tears, the new skin is up. in a few weeks, the original site skin will be made available for selection, but for now, we're giving the new skin a chance!

11/24: we are open for play once again, relaunched with a new setting, changed plot, fresh minds, and members new & old - register today!

11/24: available canons include: Anya Jenkins, Charles Gunn, Fred Burkle, Andrew Wells, Johnathan, Warren, Sam Finn, Cordelia Chase, Clem, Willy - and many more.

statistics

STAFF:
    MEMBERS: 8

DEMONS: 0
    GHOSTS: 1
    HALF DEMONS: 1
    HIGHER POWERS: 0
    HUMANS: 4
    HUNTERS: 4
    MAGICALS: 1
    SEERS: 0
    SLAYERS: 2
    UNIQUES: 3
    VAMPIRES: 2
    WATCHERS: 1
    WEREWOLVES: 3

CANONS: 18

ORIGINALS: 4

MALES: 12

FEMALES: 10

TOTAL CHARACTERS: 22
    index
  • spotlight

Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll

» CRASH && BURN, open!
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 02:11 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

standing on the edge of something
much too deep
this post is for anyone and has 305 words.
It was early afternoon. School had just let out for the day. Rather than head straight home, Dawn had opted to swing by the Espresso Pump, mainly just for an excuse to get out... and okay, maybe also for an excuse to put off starting her homework right away. She took up her spot at the end of the line, jamming her fingers into the pockets of her jeans while she looked up at the large menu mounted over the counter. She could get coffee. No one was here to stop her. And, okay, she had more than enough natural energy, but still. Coffee was cool. Coffee was grown up.

She bobbed on the edges of her feet as she waited for her turn in line. When it finally came, she bounded up to the counter. "Yeah, a, uh, large latte, please. A grande, I mean!" she said with a little laugh, acting a bit like a spaz even as she was trying to pretend she ordered coffee alllll the time. Thankfully, it wasn't a controlled substance, so the barista just gave her a weird look and then went about ringing it up. Dawn handed over a crumpled bill and then dumped the change in the little cup for tips.

She took her coffee and spun around to head to the station with the milk and the sugar. Unfortunately, she wasn't as careful as she should have been, and she spun right into someone. Her elbow was jolted, causing the cup to slip from her grasp, and several fluid ounces spilled across the floor. "Ohhhh my gosh! I am so sorry," Dawn said frantically, leaping across the puddle to grab some napkins, and then offer these to her victim. Only then did she look up to see who it was she'd actually just bumped into...
feel free to jump in! <3
template by me ♥
PM
^
CASSANDRA "CASSIE" NEWTON
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 07:42 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

School was out. Cassie couldn't be happier. Her grades had been slipping and she'd made little to no effort to pull them up. Grades and high school in general didn't mean too much when you knew you'd never make it to eighteen. In fact she wasn't all that sure if she'd make it to seventeen. She knew she was going to die, didn't know exactly when yet. She felt it getting closer and knew that once it got really near, she'd know exactly. Right now, she simply knew it'd be within the next year or two. That alone was enough for her to give up.

On her way home, she stopped for a coffee as she did almost everyday. It'd pretty much became her only source of energy as she rarely ever slept or ate. While in line, she noticed a brunette who was in her art class in front of her. As the girl spazzed out while ordering, Cassie patiently waited beside her now, and tapped on her shoulder. "It's good, isn't it? You should really watch your step, though." Cassie offered her advice, though the brunette seemed to look at her as if she was insane. Which, she wasn't, she just knew this girl was about to spill that coffee. She just knew, though she didn't know how she knew, she knew.

Cassie simply shrugged. She was used to people not believing her. With her own coffee in hand, she headed over to add some sugar and was smashed into by the very same brunette. "Told ya" she said with a light smile. As the girl handed her napkins she gently wiped off her jeans and then leaned down to wipe down the floor. Once it was mostly clean, she figured the staff would clean it better, she moved beside the brunette to add sugar to her coffee. "My name's Cassie, by the way. And I'm not insane. At least, not most of the time" she said with another weak smile, pouring the packets of sugar into her cup.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 07:58 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 272 words.
Dawn drummed her fingers on the counter while she waited for her order, looking like she'd already had a few too many cups of coffee as it was. When the blonde girl stepped up to stand beside her, Dawn flashed her a polite grin, which turned into a look of bemusement at the cryptic warning. "Uh. Yeah. I'll do that," she replied, trying to be good natured about the whole thing, but clearly thinking that warning was more than weird.

But when she finally received her coffee and turned to go... that warning turned a lot less weird. Of course, it was too late to do her much good, but the words did kind of echo in Dawn's mind as she hastily handed over the napkins. "Yeah, you did," she had to agree, as to having been told this would happen. Which was curious in and of itselfShe grabbed another handful for herself, but was watching the other girl curiously, even as Dawn dabbed dry her own clothes and then helped with mopping up the floor.

She straightened and tossed the soggy napkins into the garbage, offering Cassie another apologetic smile. "I really am sorry about that. I'm Dawn. And, uh, I don't think you're insane." She wasn't sure what to make of it though. Maybe the other girl had just noticed how cramped the area back here was? "Thanks for trying, anyway," she added after a moment, as she bent down to pick up her empty coffee cup and toss that into the garbage as well. "How did you... know?" she finally just had to ask, turning back to face Cassie.
yay! <3
template by me ♥

PM
^
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 08:19 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

With the hand that had been emptying sugar packets, and lots of 'em, Cassie waved away the other girl's apology. "Don't worry about it. Hated these jeans anyways" she said with a light laugh. Sadly enough it was the truth - she really did hate the jeans. They had been her moms way back in the day. Yeah, they were that old...Her mother didn't make a whole lot of money. Part of the reason that she'd always been made fun of as a kid. Plus the whole being weird thing, too. That certainly didn't help.

"Always willing to try, doesn't mean it'll make a difference most of the time." Well, that was a bit depressing. Sometimes she wished she thought a bit more before actually speaking. "But like I said, no biggie. Just glad you didn't seriously injure yourself, or me, too, of course. Tripping and hot coffee could have been much worse" she told her with a light laugh.

Dropping the last packet of sugar into her cup (six total) she took a small stirrer straw and stirred it around. Licking the straw, she then tossed it into the trash. "Do you want to sit? Outside? It's kinda cramped in here" she muttered, before walking out of the coffee shop and gently sitting down on a bench outside. As Dawn sat beside her, she shrugged. "I just knew. Sometimes, I just know things. Sounds crazy, I know, but it's true." With another shrug, she lifted her cup to her lips and gently blew on it to get it cool enough to be able to safely drink.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 08:33 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 285 words.
Dawn grimaced a little at the mention of the ruined jeans, and then looked down at herself. "Yeah, well, my sister is probably gonna kill me, if that's any consolation," she added with a note of wryness in her tone. She probably should not have borrowed the shoes without asking. And coffee was not going to pass as blood either. Oh well, she'd just have to worry about it later.

She was relieved that Cassie at least managed to look on the bright side of the situation... kind of. "Yeah, I'm glad nobody got any third-degree burns because I'm a klutz," she agreed, realizing that the other girl did have a point there. A slightly different angle, and one or both of them could have been seriously scalded.

She considered ordering herself another drink, but decided this was some sort of sign. Maybe she really wasn't ready for coffee. Next time she'd order something cold. But for now, she just nodded her agreement and followed Cassie to the bench outside, dropping down onto the seat beside her.

Dawn remained silent for a moment as she considered Cassie's words. "Honestly, I've heard crazier," she had to admit, considering the company she kept. Still, this was a new kind of crazy for her. She stretched her legs out in front of her, hoping the afternoon sun might at least dry the coffee so that her pants weren't all wet and clingy. "What... sort of things?" she went on, her curiosity unabated. "I mean, if you don't mind my asking. I can be kinda nosy sometimes, sorry." She gave a little shrug, not really too apologetic for that trait. If you didn't ask, you never found out.
yay! <3
template by me ♥

PM
^
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 09:11 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

Although she knew the girl meant it jokingly, hearing death being used so lightly still didn't sit well with her. It hadn't ever bothered her before. However now, knowing what she knew, it struck her a bit harder. Nonetheless she forked up the best smile that she could muster. "I'm sure she won't be too upset. She'd do anything for you, I'm sure." There she was being all cryptic again. Honestly she hadn't really meant to be, but sometimes, it couldn't be helped. She hadn't even ever met Dawn's sister that she could recall but as always, she just knew.

Cassie nodded lightly, looking down and away from the bright California sunlight. She was pale for a reason. The sun made her feel weak, it was meant for the living and though she wasn't dead yet, she didn't feel too alive lately. "Might have been a good excuse to get out of class, though" she said with a light laugh.

Bringing her coffee to her lips she took a quick drink, enjoying the extra mocha she'd ordered. Even in a world as damper as hers - there were still some perks. "Yeah? Haven't been told that before" she said honestly. Normally she was the craziest.

Cassie shook her head. "Don't be sorry. Some day, that nose might just save your life." Again, crpytic. She really couldn't help it. The blonde shrugged. "Just things. Before they happen, most of the time. Sometimes months ahead, sometimes only minutes. Just depends." Honestly, she wasn't sure why she felt like being so open at the minute. Probably because Dawn was one of the first people who hadn't made her feel like a freak.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Nov 25 2013, 09:22 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 286 words.
Dawn hesitated slightly as Cassie pointed out her sister would do anything for her. Dawn knew that to be true. Buffy had literally sacrificed herself for Dawn. But the younger Summers sister wasn't used to other people -- those outside the Scoobs -- knowing how much Buffy would do for her. She also wasn't sure whether that good will extended to Dawn ruining her things. Still, Dawn smiled and sat back on the bench. "No, you're right. She's great. Just... I kinda didn't ask before borrowing them, is all," she admitted sheepishly, before giving a little laugh.

Her eyebrows went up a bit as she considered the idea of scalding them with coffee just to get out of class. "Yeah, maybe. But we could probably come up with less painful ways to skip school." She laughed a little, just the same, since she figured Cassie was just joking about that.

Dawn felt a little guilty then, since Cassie was being so honest with her, and yet she couldn't really get into the whole Key thing, or the Slayer thing, or the back-from-the-dead thing, or, well, any of what made up her day-to-day life. "Yeah, I just- I know a lot of really weird people," she said instead, shrugging it off like it wasn't any big deal. "Well, not weird. Just. You know. Different."

She wasn't sure what to make of those cryptic warnings, but she was glad Cassie at least didn't seem to mind her nosiness anyway. "That must be handy," she said without thinking, before reconsidering. It hadn't really helped them when it came to the spilled coffee. "I guess only as long as people actually listen to you though," she allowed.
yay! <3
template by me ♥

PM
^
 Posted: Nov 26 2013, 07:05 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

Cassandra nodded. "Ah, I see. Better watch out then. Or, hurry and scrub it down with some bleach before she's home from work" she said, truly offering some advice, no joking present. Although she could joke at times it wasn't often that she did. Being that she didn't have too long to live, not much seemed funny these days.

"Like, just not going, for instance?" she asked with a raise of her nearly white-blonde eyebrows. This got a small laugh from her, though more so because she knew it was needed than actually finding it amusing. She often "simply didn't go" to class. It was actually more of a rarity that she was there than she wasn't. Her grades were slipping, her teachers knew it, her mother knew it. No one seemed to truly care. Her mother worked too much to actually make much sense of it. Or, she simply didn't think it'd mattered. She'd never told anyone she knew she was going to die - not only did she not want the crazy looks but even if they believed her, she didn't want the sympathy.

Again, Cassie nodded. "That's cool" she said, about Dawn knowing a bunch of weirdos. Weird was okay with Cassie. She knew she was weird and had grown quite used to it. Others being weird around her, that was simply a perk. It made her own weirdness feel a bit more normal.

With a shrug, the blonde took another sip of her coffee. "Not really. And most people don't. Usually it just makes people think I'm even weirder than I actually am" she said seriously, blowing on her coffee again and taking yet another drink.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Nov 27 2013, 06:03 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 263 words.
Dawn frowned down at the borrowed shoes while she considered Cassie's advice. That would probably be the smartest thing to do. Well, the smartest thing would have been not to borrow them in the first place, or not to spill coffee on them in the second. But definitely the third smartest thing to do would be to try to clean them before Buffy saw. "Yeah, maybe I will. In a bit." She wasn't really going to race right out of there just that second anyway.

She laughed a little at Cassie's suggestion of an easier way to skip school. "Yeah, I somehow think that'd be, like, way less painful than scalding ourselves with coffee," she had to agree, amused by this line of talk. "Unless we got caught and thrown in the chokey. You know, like, from Matilda?" She wasn't sure if the other girl would catch the reference, or if she'd just outed herself as a former (and possibly still current) geek.

"Yeah, I guess it is pretty cool. Weird people are just kinda... more interesting, right?" She shrugged her shoulders. This town definitely graded 'weird' on a curve. She lapsed into silence for a moment, before looking over at Cassie again, considering her words and the thoughtful way in which she spoke them. "Then I guess it would be kind of annoying. I mean, getting coffee spilled on you when you knew it was gonna happen? So not cool. I am sorry about that, by the way," she added for good measure, not sure if it was too soon to joke.
yay! <3
template by me ♥

PM
^
 Posted: Nov 27 2013, 08:16 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

"Probably a good idea. You'll be home before her, though." Again, she was being sort of weird and telling Dawn what would happen before it actually did. She supposed she should probably stop but sometimes it couldn't be helped. Her precognition abilities had been there all of her life and at times she didn't even notice she was spilling the beans about it, it just came out.

The blonde's eyes widened. "Not the chokey..anything but the chokey!" She said with a true laugh. The movie had actually been one of her favorites and for a second, she felt like a normal girl just talking to one of her friends. The insecure part of her made her wonder if Dawn was just talking to her out of pity. She certainly hoped not, though, she wouldn't stop talking to her if she was. Out of pity or not, she still enjoyed the company.

Taking a drink of her coffee she shook her head as it swished around in her mouth. "It's fine. I've grown so used to it that it doesn't really bother me. Plus, hey, it got us talking, right?" she said with a smile.

Note: This post is crap. I am so sorry :/ Just sooo tired after work. Horribly long day/week (even though it was a short one, it was a busy one). Better posts will come this weekend <3.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Nov 27 2013, 09:53 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 269 words.
It was going to take a little getting used to, this being told what would happen in such a matter-of-fact way. It was kind of like the opposite of going to a fortune teller, where she'd get vague half-truths told in some mysterious way. But if there was one thing Dawn was getting remarkably good at, it was getting used to the strange and unusual. "Yeah?" she replied, her eyebrows arching just a bit as she considered that. "Cool." She still wasn't sure how much faith she could put in Cassie's abilities, but at least this suggested her chances of getting away with it were better than not.

She beamed then as Cassie not only got the reference but reacted with proper dramatics to the idea of the dreadful chokey. Plus Dawn was pleased to get a laugh out of the rather sad-seeming girl. "Let's just hope it doesn't come to that," she replied, doing her best to sound and look solemn, leaning in a little as though confiding a secret. "Since we don't have Miss Honey to bail us out." It was nice to have something bond over other than just how strange their lives both were.

She smiled as she considered Cassie's point. "Yeah. It did," she agreed a bit more brightly, as the other girl pointed out that her ignored prediction had given them a chance to talk. "I guess it's funny, the things you can get used to," she mused aloud, after a brief moment. Eventually, even the weirdest things started to feel, if not normal, then at least deal-able.
yay! <3
template by me ♥

PM
^
 Posted: Nov 29 2013, 09:07 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

Cassie nodded her head knowingly. "Yep. And she's going to bring you dinner. Not sure what it is, but it's gonna be soggy and gross. You'll pretend to like it of course, as to not hurt her feelings." Letting out a deep breath, Cassie simply shrugged. She really needed to stop doing that. "Sorry" she said as her thoughts caught up with her lips. No matter how cool Dawn seemed with all of it, Cassie knew she needed to be smarter. Her abilities weren't something that needed to be shared with the world. If the wrong people found out, she'd be trapped and tested on like a lab rat. That wasn't how she wanted to spend her remaining days.

"No, but we do have Miss Miller. She's basically Miss Honey reincarnated" she said with a small, but there, smile. Miss Miller was their art teacher and one of the sweetest teachers Cassie had ever known. Always willing to help and on top of that, she actually seemed to legitimately care about the kids.

While they were speaking, a group of girls passed by them that also went to their school. The girls seemed to be looking down upon both of them. Cassie because she was...well, weird, and known for it. Dawn probably only because of her association. The blonde eyed the girls back, not meanly, simply watched them as they passed by. Finally, she turned to Dawn. "Sorry. You're going to take some...heat for talking to me." Her face was apologetic but for the life of her, she couldn't bring herself to dislike the stuck-up girls, despite their attitudes. She saw the pain and sorrow that would eventually come to the girls and because of it? She couldn't think a single negative thought about them.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Dec 1 2013, 09:06 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 289 words.
Dawn wrinkled her nose at the idea of a soggy, gross dinner she'd have to pretend to like. Maybe she should have ordered a pastry instead of a coffee. Would have been much less messy to spill it, too. Still, she gave Cassie a smile and waved off the apology. "Don't worry about it. Better to be prepared, right?" Still, she did worry a bit about Cassie saying the wrong thing to the wrong person. "Although, I guess probably better to keep it on the down-low. Like a- a secret identity!" she said, trying to make it sound like it would be fun and exciting to keep this a secret.

She grinned at the mention of Miss Miller. "Yeah, that's true. She would definitely come get us out of the chokey." She was going to add more when the passing group of girls caught her attention. Dawn blushed a bit and ducked her head, wondering how many ranks her social standing had just fallen. She'd been working so hard to be a little cooler this year, what with starting high school and everything. She didn't want to be the weird, dorky girl whose mom had died. She wanted to be something else. But she wasn't going to hold it against Cassie either.

"Nah, it's cool," she said, trying hard to sound less bothered than it was. Granted, she did wait until she was sure the girls were out of earshot before replying. "What do they know anyway?" She hesitated a moment more before continuing. "I should probably be going through. I mean, not because- Just... I have to get home before my sister, and, you know, get cleaned up," she pointed out with a bit of a shrug.
yay! <3
template by me ♥

PM
^
 Posted: Dec 4 2013, 08:32 PM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
CALLIE

application & shipper

Hearing that the other girl had to get going, Cassie realized that she probably should head home too. When she didn't get right home her mother tended to freak out a bit. She was a good mom, a little bit of a freak. She knew somewhat of her daughter's abilities and that tended to turn her into a skeptic. Or, simply paranoid. She was always thinking everyone was out to get them and put Cassie into some sort of lab where they'd run tests on her. It occasionally crossed Cassie's mind too, but not as often as her mother. That woman was a bit insane about it.

Nonetheless, she nodded. A bit sadly, though not because Dawn was leaving. Instead because of the fact that she'd probably just killed the other girl's social life. "Yeah, I should too. Mom'll freak out if I'm too late thinking I got locked up in some lab."

Standing up from the bench she walked several feet to the garbage can and tossed her coffee inside. Her hand was slightly wet from the condensation of her cup and she wiped it on her pants. Walking back towards Dawn, she waved, awkwardly. "Nice talking to you. I'll see ya around sometime, Summers" she told her with a smile and turned to head home.

The weird part? Dawn hadn't ever mentioned her last name. But then again, it was Cassie. She didn't have to mention it.

PMEmail Poster
^
DAWN SUMMERS
 Posted: Dec 5 2013, 04:46 AM
Quote Post
Group Icon

posts written
DEE

application & shipper

much too deep
this post is for cassie/open and has 208 words.
Dawn wasn't quite sure why Cassie seemed so sad as she nodded, but considering the girl's following statement, Dawn chalked it up to her being worried about being locked away for having her abilities. "Yeah, don't want to worry your mom," she agreed. "But I'm sure it won't come to that. And besides, you'd know if it was going to, right?" she pointed out, trying to make a bit of a joke. She just didn't like seeing people down. Although maybe joking about getting taken away by the men in black wasn't the best idea. Oh well.

"Yeah, I'll see you in art class!" Dawn pointed out brightly. Even if being seen with Cassie was social suicide, Dawn couldn't just cast her off. She'd just have to... find some way to balance the two, maybe. Life as a teenager was hard, but she'd survived being The Key, so she could survive even this. She hoped.

It was only as she started to walk away, she realized Cassie had known her surname without even being told. Dawn paused just a moment, a bemused expression on her features. Then she shrugged to herself and continued on her way, chalking it up to just one more weird thing about that conversation.
yay! <3
template by me ♥
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Closed TopicStart new topicStart Poll